Monday, October 13, 2008

Growing Pains


What is the “true” definition of “growing pains”? Who is doing the growing, and who is experiencing the pain, and what kind of pain is it? Take this weekend, for instance. My happy little girl was confidently choosing the “finishing touch” for her chosen outfit, which was her favorite, well worn, pair of red, sparkle shoes. Today just happened to be the day that we discovered these shoes no longer fit. Kayli refused to accept this unfortunate turn of events, and even after I told her she had grown out of these shoes, I stood in her doorway watching her huff and puff and stuff her feet into these, all the while, mumbling to herself “these match”. But when she stood up and came out into the hall to walk to me, she realized it was a losing battle and sobbed. Growing Pains? Then, there was the early morning this week that Kayli was all snuggled in bed with me, and decided to pretend her fingers were a spider walking up my arm. She said “Mom, here comes the spider” My immediate thought was, she put her “S” sound in the word “spider”for the first time. Oh, yes, this is good news to a speech pathologist mom, but it is bittersweet to a mom who just loved hearing her daughter belt out a rousing rendition of: “The Itsy Bitsy Pider”! Growing pains? Or, how about the fact that this weekend Kayli climbed in the car and buckled her whole seatbelt all by herself (A 5 Point Harness!) She was thrilled. I was thrilled. A slight jolt to the heart, though, of a mother watching time fly by. Growing pains? I’ve seen evidence of this phenomena in other ways, and I know this is just the beginning. I also know that no matter how many times I celebrate a new skill or proudly beam at a new outfit we’ve just put on for the first time, I will be experiencing “growing pains” as I put the “too small outfit” in a bag, to be passed down to a smaller child. So, Kayli and I will “weather” our growing pains together as time passes, but in the meantime, my camera is never out of reach, as I continue to document this growth!
Now, sit back and enjoy the last rendition of the Itsy Bitsy Pider in the video below:

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails