Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Good Ol' Field Day!

Yep, it's as "old as time"; the good ol' Field Day, the grand finale of the school year. A time to head outdoors, and spend a day with hot, sweaty friends, participating in a variety of "olympic events" like the...
...drag-a-classmate-on-a-tarp-across-the-grass-event...
"Ok, gang, a little to the left"...
"Whoa, I'm feeling a little bit like a hotdog in a bun here"...
"Ahh, much better, I'll just relax a bit til' we get to the finish line"...
and, of course, there's always the tried and true tug-of-war event... Positions Everyone...
aaaand PULL...
and pull some more...
"ok, a little help here, please?"
now, let's re-group, boys against girls...

"C'mon Mrs. H, we need your heeelp"...
Woohoo! Oh, yeah,  Girls Rule!!!
Time for a group huddle, drinks, and a little pep talk for the next event...

and she's off and hopping...
almost there...
made it!
Next event? It's one of my favorites. It's called the "waiting-in-line-for-your-turn" event, and it always offers something new!
seriously, if you ever want a good laugh, just watch a bunch of kindergartners waiting in a line...
Kayli tells me that this little boy accidentally elbowed her in the nose and when he asked if he could check her nose, he "tricked her" and told her it was bleeding (such a typical "boy stunt") you can see the little girl, in the picture below, next to Kayli, is doublechecking for her, too funny...like I said..."line-standing-olympics!"
This "taxing event" was followed by a much milder competition of picking up some sidewalk chalk and tracing a friend...
there, of course, were many more events, but I only photographed a "sampling" since I was busy "manning" some of my own stations, giving teachers breaks, and taking kids to the potty, while Kayli and her class rotated through a whole bunch of other super olympic activities! It was a REALLY HOT LONG FULL DAY at 90-something degrees, and by the afternoon, lots of kids were begging to repeat the water events! Thank-goodness for the "water events" to cool everyone off! At the end of the day, I brought home a soaking wet, overstimulated, but very tired little girl, who couldn't even make it through our after school grocery store stint without falling sound asleep in the shopping cart! Then, as the evening wore on, and Kayli had more than a few irrational-tear-filled-meltdowns, the "light bulb" finally went on in my head and I realized that I should have put this lethargic lunatic in her bed for the night the minute we walked through our door! I'll remember that next year, or will I?!!! 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails