Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Christmas Eve

Christmas Eve has always been one of my all time favorite days/nights, with the magic of Christmas at it's peak, the anticipation of all that is to come, the church service with all the people gathered to celebrate the birth of Christ, and the beautiful music that goes with this celebration. The past few years, Kayli and I have chosen to attend an evening church service that draws a crowd of thousands, for the most amazing celebration that includes powerful music and messages, and culminates with an awesome experience of passing a candlelight where the auditorium is darkened, then one person lights the candle of the person next to him, and again, and again, until the entire place is illuminated by candlelight, and everyone is singing the beautiful, traditional, Christmas song, Silent Night. Not only do I love this experience, but it has clearly had an impact on Kayli, judging from her anticipation of it again this year!
So, rewind to the night before Christmas Eve, when we rushed out the grocery store for some last minute items and Kayli said "Mom, my throat is sore" and I thought "so is mine". But I persevered, and she did what she usually does when she gets tired of shopping...
I didn't think much of it, and moved on with our night. The middle of the night, a tearful Kayli woke me up to tell me that her throat was hurting soooo much! Of course I had to search in 3 places before I found ONE DOSE of ibuprofen left!!! I gave it to her, and she settled back in for a while, then she began about 4 in the morning, asking me every half hour, if the night was done yet. When I finally declared that it was morning, early morning, we came downstairs, and I couldn't get her to eat anything, and she said she was soooo cold, so I gave her some hot chocolate, and she sat in front of the space heater...
then...
ok... sore throat, chills, fever, body aches, no appetite...is it the flu? on Christmas Eve? Will I be able to get in to see a doctor??? Sprinkles says "I'll watch Kayli while you call the doctor!"
I can't believe it, we got an appt for noon!
A few hours later...C'mon, Kayli, It's time to get dressed for your doctor appt...
They sent us to the lab to check for influenza and strep. Aaaaand the winner iiiis...STREP! The doctor gave me instructions to get the Rx filled, give her plenty of rest and fluids, and don't expose her to anyone for 24 hours. On our way out, he said to me "If you have a sore throat, you better get yourself checked out" Oh, great. I hadn't even considered MYSELF! I've been too busy tending to my poor, pitiful, whimpering child. I told Kayli we had to head to the Walgreens walk-in. We got there, and they were full until closing @ 4:00, and told me to try another Walgreens. Back in the car, to the other end of town, to the back of the store, to find a sign that said "Out to lunch" "Back by 2:15" There was only one other person on the "reserve list". It was 1:30. We went home, ate a quick lunch, came back by 2:15, was the first person seen, and what do you know? I tested positive for STREP! No wonder my throat was so sore! While I was being seen, Kayli sat in the waiting area, getting some of that "rest" that was ordered...
Now, we had my Rx. because they sent it to the pharmacy we were standing next to. Kayli's Rx., on the other hand, is waiting for us at Target, on the other end of town, my regular pharmacy, and the place the pediatrician automatically sent it before we knew I'd be going to Walgreens, ohhh the torture continues!
Finally back home, one dose of medicine in each of us, and some hot soup in our tummies, I offer Kayli a chance to open a gift. She says "thank-you" "ok" and climbs onto the couch and...
soooo, a few hours later, a bit more rested, we watched the candlelight service on the couch, online, (not quite the same experience) then, Kayli opened a gift from her 3 godmothers ( her 3 fairy godmothers) aaand, I saw the first smile of the day...
they sent her a fabulous wardrobe/vanity for her doll! Now, she tells her doll, let's get you ready for Christmas pictures!
ooooo, ahhhhh, lookin' good!
She was off to bed early tonight...
making it much easier to accomodate Santa's schedule!!!
I am so glad we got our flu shots this year, and did not have influenza, which would have been a much longer recovery. Strep hit us like a lead balloon, but the good news was that once the meds kicked in, we made a 180 degree turn! We had 3 doses in us by the time our family gathered for Christmas dinner @ 5:00 on Christmas day, and we "met" the 24 hour criteria! Whew!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails